Friday, July 29, 2011

Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are
1964, Caldecott Medal 

Summary: Mas, after running wild through the house, is sent to his room.  He creates an imaginary forest, which he cruises away to, becoming King of the Wild Things that live there. 

Lesson:  This book was part of my Halloween unit, which also included Skeleton Hiccups and the song, "Monster Mash".  First I read Skeleton Hiccups.  The children, without much prompting on my part, loved doing the hiccups sound effects for each page.  I then read Where the Wild Things Are.  During the dancing section of the story, I played "The Monster Mash" and we all danced like monsters and zombies.  We returned to end the story.  The kids were then given handouts with a skeleton on it for them to color as they wished.  (If more time had allowed, I would have allowed glue-ons, like string for hair.)

Level:  PreK-2nd

No comments:

Post a Comment