Saturday, July 23, 2011

OFF THE SHELF -- The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games 
Scholastic, 2008

The Hunger Games is the first book of the dystopian trilogy, The Hunger Games, followed by Catching Fire and Mockingjay. The series combines the political statement of 1984 with the dangerous societal games of The Running Man, using teenagers as main characters.  While the YA target audience is middle and high school, I did suggest this first book to a few 5th graders already reading middle school books.  Before long, most of the 5th and 4th grade faculty had read the trilogy.  

Level:  6th - adult

3 comments:

  1. I saw a link to your site on the Shark V Train Facebook page! I love the idea of your "off the shelf" posts- I may give that a whirl when school starts! There is always one book that just never comes back to the library! This year for me it was Duck, Rabbit. I look forward to stopping by your blog! Are you on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I have now linked to a twitter account and a facebook account--
    Twitter: lauraleetm
    Facebook: Lauralee's Library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I learn so much on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete