Friday, July 29, 2011

Skeleton Hiccups

Skeleton Hiccups 
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing, 2002

Summary:  In this hilarious story, Skeleton tries every known cure for the hiccups. 

Lesson:  This book was part of my Halloween unit, which also included Where the Wild Things Are and the song, "Monster Mash".  First I read Skeleton Hiccups.  The children, without much prompting on my part, loved doing the hiccups sound effects for each page.  I then read Where the Wild Things Are.  During the dancing section of the story, I played "The Monster Mash" and we all danced like monsters and zombies.  We returned to end the story.  The kids were then given handouts with a skeleton on it for them to color as they wished.  (If more time had allowed, I would have allowed glue-ons, like string for hair.)

Level: PreK - 2nd

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a real fun lesson. Something I can do with special needs students also. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoanneMaria,
    I also had the stuffed Wild Things animals. Some of the kids liked dancing with these, too. But I guess any "monster" would do.
    Lauralee

    ReplyDelete