Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Librarian's Dilemma: Separate, but Equal?


I am facing a dilemma as I begin my librarianship of a new library.  The retiring librarian had a collection of Spanish books (fiction and non-fiction) which she kept in a separate area from the English books.  When I see this, all I think of is "Separate but not equal".  The books are clearly labeled SP.  I am wanting to rearrange the library and to intermix the library collection so that a Spanish copy of Clifford sits next to the English copy. 85% of my population is labeled as Spanish being their primary language at home.   I would love some feedback from others about this dilemma:  to leave separate or to intermix the collection? 

1 comment:

  1. Mix them together!!! This way spanish speakers as well as english speakers see them both. I think it is better for the kids too. Everyone being part of the student body!!!

    ReplyDelete